Monday, March 02, 2015

A person's a person, no matter how small ~ Dr Seuss

Today is Dr Seuss's birthday and Read Across America day. It's a day that focuses on the need to install a love of reading in children. A study found that children who don't read proficiently by 4th grade are 4 times likelier to drop out of school. 

I love love Dr Seuss''s children books. He made children literature to be so amazing.  His books are so interesting and fun to read. My daughter is hooked on them. 

To me I wasn't so lucky to read many of his books when growing up. I grew up in Tanzania and getting a good children book over there it is like mining gold. Children are very forgotten when it comes to children's literature. Very few children book writers, very few bookstores will care to import children books and when you find them they are very expensive. So very few parents will even think of buying children books if they are not text books required by their schools. 

I do remember the first time I came across Dr Seuss's book was from one of our American neighbors. Their child had many children books and one of the book was The Cat in a hat. I always wanted to go to their house just to read this book. I read it over and over and over again. When they went for vacation they brought me two more of  Dr Seuss's book because they knew I liked the Cat in a Hat so much. They gave me the Green Eggs and Ham and the Lorax. I read those books over and over and over again. Actually they were the only children books I had though my dad had a home library full of books. 

Before I even had my daughter I had a book shelf full of Dr Seuss's books and other children books. I knew the thirsty of reading I had when growing up but I couldn't not find many children books to read. I have been reading to my children these books even before she was born. She is now reading them by herself and loves them too. They are her first choice of reading every time she wants to read a book. I guess they helped my her too to recognize many words since very early on. 

If you haven't introduced them to your children you should. They are very funny, easy to read and very entertaining. You will never get bored when reading to your kids too. The early shared reading is both fun and rewarding.